Hi Chuck,

The unpacking matter is now sorted - Tomcat didn't have write access.

Regarding which is default host, I already have several applications
hosted on Tomcat, and these are called by Apache HTTP (proxy) server like
so:

ProxyPass /tomcat ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/christopher/
ProxyPassReverse /tomcat ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/christopher/

My preference would be to leave localhost/127.0.0.1 as the default host.
All applications (except Roller) are installed at
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps.

Roller hosts multiple domains, and so I can't see how this can be the
default host.  I thought the best option might be to set up a <Host> for
each domain Roller serves, all with appBase="/home/roller/application".
Is this the best solution in your opinion?

Thanks,

Chris.

> From: Christopher Dodunski [mailto:chrisfromsquir...@...]
> Subject: RE: Configuring which Servlet is invoked

> I have now set up two <Host> elements inside server.xml with
> appBases in two entirely different places...

> <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">
>   <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>   </Host>

The first <Host> above should be the one running the blogging app; is that
correct?

>   <Host name="http://blog.christopher.net.nz";
> appBase="/home/roller/application"
>             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false" />

Are the appBase settings switched?  I would have thought the roller
directory would be associated with the blogging webapp, based on your
previous descriptions.

> Have restarted Tomcat, but Tomcat isn't unpacking
> /home/roller/application/ROOT.war as expected.

Does Tomcat have read and write access to that directory?

> The catalina.out log doesn't seem to give a reason.

Possibly the wrong log file to look at.  What do the others have in them?

 - Chuck