Hi.

As I recall, you are using a packaged version of Tomcat (meaning not the original one from the tomcat website download, but one already packaged by the people who do such things for your OS version).

You should then look carefully at what scripts are used to start/stop Tomcat on your particular system (starting with /etc/init.d/tomcat e.g.), what they invoke and when, to determine what you can put into CATALINA_HOME/x and CATALINA_BASE/y. For example, these packages often use a file /etc/default/tomcat that sets some environment values, which are later used to determine what other scripts do.

What Konstantin indicates below is based on the standard catalina.sh as provided in the standard Tomcat download, but there is no guarantee that this script has not been modified (or is even used) in your particular package.

Ziggy wrote:
I am using Tomcat v5.5

Do you mean that for newer versions of Tomcat, if i want to move some of the
scripts from $CATALINA_HOME/bin to $CATALINA_BASE/bin i will not be able to?

Thanks

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Konstantin Kolinko