Hi,

I have a ugly issue I'm sure many people on this list already solved.
For multiple purposes I need pid's of processes, to stop/start them or
ensure they are running. So far nothing spectacular.
To obtain the pid I have following util:

String[] cmd = { "/bin/bash", "-c", "echo $PPID" };
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);

and afterwards read the ppid from the output stream of my process. So
far - so good.

The problem now occurs if a process has a lot of memory configured.
Like 25Gb on a 32Gb machine. In such a configuration the above command
fails with an OS'es out of memory, because fork
fails to create another process with THAT amount of memory:

1598388 2010-11-17 02:54:47,061 ERROR net.anotheria.util.PidTools -
Could not determine PID: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program
"/bin/bash": java.io.IOException: error=12, Cannot allocate memory

Is there another method to obtain the process id from within the process?

regards
Leon