On 17/11/2010 22:41, André Warnier wrote:
> Typical Java thinking..
> Sure, let's pull in another 15 classes..
> Gotta use those GB of RAM for something..
> Why do simple when complicated would do just as well, he ?

That doesn't make sense*.

Leon's trying to avoid using more RAM.  The JMX method pulls in one
class, uses another indirectly & generates a String.  Hardly a memory
intensive operation.

Splitting a String isn't exactly elegant, but it _is_ cross platform
AFAICT & starting processes appears to be problematic, so it's the best
of a bad bunch IMHO.

*  But I know it's an excuse for a reply with a Perl solution ;)