Pid wrote:
On 17/11/2010 22:41, André Warnier wrote:
Typical Java thinking..
Sure, let's pull in another 15 classes..
Gotta use those GB of RAM for something..
Why do simple when complicated would do just as well, he ?

That doesn't make sense*.

Leon's trying to avoid using more RAM.  The JMX method pulls in one
class, uses another indirectly & generates a String.  Hardly a memory
intensive operation.

Splitting a String isn't exactly elegant, but it _is_ cross platform
AFAICT & starting processes appears to be problematic, so it's the best
of a bad bunch IMHO.

I think you missed the ;-) which was part of the jibe...

This being said, I agree that this JMX method seems to be the only cross-platform one, among the 10 or so solutions seen so far (some of which are really resource-intensive, as I pointed out). The real question here is why there is not a *simple* direct method call available in the JVM. The justification according to which a PID is not necessarily available on every platform seems a very weak one.