2010/12/9 Fergus McMenemie <fer...@twig.me.uk>:

If you do not want to bother with DefaultServlet, you can implement a
javax.servlet.Filter that will output a listing for any URL ending
with "/".

BTW, Tomcat will automatically send to the browser a redirect from foo
-> foo/ for any URL that corresponds to a folder in the webapp.

> I dont edit, control or admin the content I am wanting served. So ensuring
> the correct WEB-INF/web.xml ends up in the correct place is too big a
> deal.

Officially, without a WEB-INF/web.xml file the web application can
only serve static content.

Though in Tomcat there is $CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml that is used as
the default, and it applies to such applications.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko