amythyst wrote:
I'm fairly certain the tomcat server is up and running because the
application works internally.  If tomcat wasn't working then I assume I
wouldn't be able to access the app internally as it requires tomcat to
function.

Define what you mean by "internally", as opposed to the other way.
What exactly do you use for the "internal" URL which works, as opposed to what "non-internal" which does not work ?

(replace the hostname by "myhost.com" or something; but if the hostnames are different in each case, then convey that somehow).