We currently run multiple instances of tomcat Version 6.0.20, each in its
own non-admin user account under Mac OSX 10.5. This has been a great way to
host multiple web applications (student information systems) on a single
box. Each app is secure in its own user account space and can't read or
write outside of its user directory. An administrator can manage them as a
whole using sudo.

Because Xserve is being discontinued we are considering the possibility of
migrating our environment to Windows 2008 R2

We can create the users, run windows services using the credentials as a
local user, name the service whatever we'd like, and stop, start it by
that name via scripts. The biggest gotchas I can think of is can we get
tomcat to run as a non-admin user and will tomcat respect ntfs file
system permissions that should be setup for separate logs, temp files,
etc.?

We have too many instances to consider running each hosted app in its own
vm.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share.

Guy Pontecorvo
Engineering Manager
School Systems

10911 White Rock Road