Our decision to replace the Mac os Xservers with Windows is purely
financial. We already run our software on Windows and though Linux would be
a good choice it is less expensive to support a single platform.

We run as many as 15 apps on a single xServe box. The corresponding Oracle
10g databases run on a separate server. Everything is automated. Start up,
shutdown, updates etc. are scripted and executed using sudo. Each app runs
as a non-admin user and is secure and isolated from the other apps running
on that box.

The more I discuss this it appears to be more of an OS question than a
tomcat question. Someone suggested a pilot program. We are currently
replicating our multi-app server configuration on a windows box...trust but
verify.

Thanks to everyone for their replies on this question.

Guy