> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [OT] IIS7/isapi/tomcat performance

> I don't understand why communicating a 64-bit value over a
> 64-bit bus would take longer than communicating a 32-bit
> value over a 64-bit bus:

Because you get *two* 32-bit values for one transfer, not just one.

BTW, it's somewhat pointless to use the unqualified term "bus" when referring
to modern CPU architecture.  Now that Intel has finally figured out how to make
multi-processor systems run at a reasonable speed by using techniques we
implemented back in the 1960s, along with the advent of multiple memory cache
levels, there's no longer a single bus to be concerned with.  Most of them are
wider than 64 bits in order to move as much data as possible; even ten years
ago, Intel was moving 64 _bytes_ at a time on most of the data paths.

> I also get that some processors (like Itanium) have an x84
> processor core on the die

(Presumably, you meant x86.)  Sorry, Itanium was notoriously bad at running
32-bit apps.

> getting the data from point A to point B shouldn't matter

Sure it does, if you can batch multiple operand accesses together (which
current Intel cores do).

> I suppose of the CPU knew it was in a 32-bit mode, it could
> adjust the number of clock ticks it had to wait around for
> 32-bit data to go through an adder, but that seems overly
> complicated for a straightforward CPU task.

Simple adders have only used one cycle for decades, regardless of the width.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.