Thierry Templier wrote:
Hi André,

Thanks very much for your help!

I checked difference between two access:

- Using Apache / modjk / Tomcat that can't display correclty non latin1
characters
- Directly using Tomcat that works fine

Except characters that don't display correctly content are the same, especially
meta tags at the beginning:

As suggested, I also have a look at request / response content and it seems
that there are some different, as described below.

- Response headers when using Apache / Modjk / Tomcat:

Date    Mon, 02 May 2011 08:21:16 GMT
Server  Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
Pragma  no-cache
Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control   no-cache, no-store
Content-Language        en-UK
Vary    Accept-Encoding
Content-Encoding        gzip
Content-Length  2494
Keep-Alive      timeout=15, max=93
Connection      Keep-Alive
Content-Type    text/html;charset=UTF-8

- Response headers when directly using Tomcat:

Server  Apache-Coyote/1.1
Pragma  no-cache
Expires Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control   no-cache, no-store
Content-Type    text/html;charset=UTF-8
Content-Language        en-UK
Transfer-Encoding       chunked
Date    Mon, 02 May 2011 08:19:39 GMT

The content type header is the same and specifies UTF-8 as encoding... However
it appears that when using Apache / modjk / Tomcat, the reponse content is
compressed using gzip. It's not the case when directly accessing Tomcat. I
don't know if it could be the reason of the problem...

It seems unlikely that it would be the compression that causes the problem.
Content encoding is only supposed to be used during the transport from the server to the browser. So it is applied last at the server (Apache) side, and removed first at the browser side, before interpreting the content.
But just in case, it should be easy to disable, if even just for a test.

Under Ubuntu, you may try the command "a2dismod deflate" to disable the filter.
Or if that does not work, have a look here to modify your configuration :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_deflate.html

I believe Ubuntu is similar to Debian. If so, then the setup of the mod_deflate filter may be in a file like /etc/apache2/mods-available/deflate.conf