All,

16 emails into this chain - might be worth a summary

1) You have tomcat 6.0.29 running on virtual machines running on win 2008
2) You have a load balancer which calls a home made xslt transform, that
queries the database. If this fails 3 times in a row, the load balancer
treats the machine as dead
3) When you move one virtual machine to another machine, the custom code
stops working, hence the load balancer assumes that the new virtual machine
is dead, hence the issue

IMO this covers all the salient facts so far stated.

The problem is clearly that the pool doesn't test the connections when it
lends them. You say that you are unwilling or unable to alter this by
configuring test on borrow and using dbcp. The alternative seems to catch
the exception in your custom code, and get it to re-initialize the database
connection pool. You will effectively just re-implement the connection pool,
but if you won't use the existing one doesn't seem much else to suggest

Personally I'd be interested in determining what specifically is wrong with
dbcp for your environment. Works fine for me and many others on this list I
would wager. Assuming that you can recreate the dbcp issue off production,
what symptoms do you get? Could you post the full resource element from the
context.xml section?

> > Sure, add some extra variables to the problem.  That will make it a lot
> > simpler to find out what happens.
> >
> > no need of sarcasm here.
>
> Most|all the people on this list are doing this for the love of it - as I
understand it nobody is paid to do it. I would heartily encourage all the
humor possible to make this more fun for everyone :-)

Chris