> #2 here blows my mind: an LB runs an XSLT that connects to a DB? WTF?
>
> Another thought that occurs to me is why are you using xslt. Why not code a
jsp page - java servlet whatever. At least in this, you could add some
proper logging, and possibly take some corrective action when an exception
occurs, like restarting the pool. Not quite sure how you do this
programatically, but hope someone else will chip in

>> The problem is clearly that the pool doesn't test the connections when it
>> lends them. You say that you are unwilling or unable to alter this by
>> configuring test on borrow and using dbcp. The alternative seems to catch
>> the exception in your custom code, and get it to re-initialize the
database
>> connection pool. You will effectively just re-implement the connection
>> pool,
>> but if you won't use the existing one doesn't seem much else to suggest
>>
> I haven't understood the part in purple. can you explain?

The part in purple came through in gmail and was "You will effectively just
re-implement the connection pool, but if you won't use the existing one
doesn't seem much else to suggest". I was assuming that upon detection of a
broken db connection in your "smart keep alive", you would try to take some
sort of corrective action. This was the part I meant about re-writing the
functions founds in dbcp connection pool. Sorry if I assumed too much - it
was what I would have done

Chris