> From: Caldarale, Charles R
> Subject: RE: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

> > We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content
> > ( media, executables etc.. ).

> As much as I like Tomcat, I have to think it might be more
> appropriate to use Apache httpd rather than Tomcat for pure
> static content.

I have to qualify my statement: if the *only* thing you're using Tomcat for is
delivering static content, then httpd would be better.  If you have other
reasons to use Tomcat (e.g., running servlets or JSPs), then by all means use
it as your static content server as well.  You will generally see better
performance overall by not having two servers in the mix forced to communicate
with each other.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.