Sriram,

On 6/11/2011 4:00 AM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
> Sriram,

>> Sure, but it's not always necessary. More moving parts when they aren't
>> necessary just results in tougher management and greater opportunity for
>> security mistakes.
>
> For those that need it, this is what is done. Phrases such as "moving
> parts", etc give the impression that it's all going to be very
> complicated when it's not.

My point is that most don't need it. It's evidently become so "standard"
that people do it because "it's what everybody does", instead of for
some specific reason.

For instance, we use Apache httpd in front of Apache Tomcat because we
need a single web server process to proxy to multiple back-end Apache
Tomcat instances. We also have multiple back-end servers and use httpd
as a load-balancer. If we had an F5 out front, we would probably remove
Apache httpd from the mix.

Configuring two web servers is (debatably) double the complexity. I
didn't say it was "very complicated"... I just said it was "more
complicated".

>> I'm not sure I would say "the vast majority", but certainly many are.
>> There's no need to give the impression that some other web server in
>> front of Tomcat is a best practice: it's merely a common practice.
>
> This is not giving an impression. There's a reason that this is common
> practice.

Enlighten me: what is "the" reason that this is common practice?