I re-read my own responses. It looks like some context has not come
across in the non-interative nature of email.

I myself agree that common practice is not the same as best practice,
though in my experience as a developer + sysadmin for the past few
years, it is indeed ideal to separate the serving of static content
from the service of application responses.

-- Sriram