Looks like this is the root cause from DefaultServlet ...

While the ISE is caught ... since the mimetype for js was changed - it
doesn't match the fallback method ....

            try {
                ostream = response.getOutputStream();
            } catch (IllegalStateException e) {
                // If it fails, we try to get a Writer instead if we're
                // trying to serve a text file
                if ( (contentType == null)
                        || (contentType.startsWith("text"))
                        || (contentType.endsWith("xml")) ) {
                    writer = response.getWriter();
                    // Cannot reliably serve partial content with a Writer
                    ranges = FULL;
                } else {
                    throw e;
                }
            }

So one patch is this (which will catch all javascript variants if multiple
exist)
                if ( (contentType == null)
                        || (contentType.startsWith("text"))
                        || (contentType.endsWith("xml"))
+                        || (contentType.contains("/javascript")) ) {

-Tim