Michal Singer wrote:

This worked fine, the client succeeded to download the files, but I need it to
work with large files (more then 500MB).
This failed.

What failed ? How failed ? what do the logfiles say ?

Does anyone know why this can fail?

Not without some better data.

Is there a configuration I need to add to raise the limit? (I couldn't find it
in the apache-tomcat configuration manual).

As far as I know, there is no limit (on the Tomcat side) for *downloading*
files.

Is it recommended to use apache-tomcat for this (currently we download with
using ftp server embedded into our product, but it is too heavy)?

What do you mean by "too heavy" ? at the level of the client, or the server ?
(or the bandwidth of your communication channel client(s)<->server ?)

I don't think that this would be either recommended or not recommended. It is something that you /can/ do with Tomcat (or any other webserver). If these are always large static files, you may want to look at a parameter somewhere named "useSendFile" or similar, probably in the <Connector> documentation.