Bob,

On 6/29/2011 1:10 PM, Bob DeRemer wrote:
> I've scoured the net for information on how to do port sharing
> within the context of a Tomcat Servlet-based web application process.
> While there's some discussion, there still doesn't appear to be any
> solutions [YET] - that I could find yet.
>
> What I need to do is the following:
>
> * receive both HTTP and XMPP traffic on a single port [either 80 or
>   443 - depending on security configuration]
>
> * route the HTTP traffic to Tomcat's HTTP Connector [or
>   sub-processing component] if possible
>
> * route the XMPP to an embedded Vysper server

All of the above should be doable using something like Squid. Does Squid
do pretty much everything?

> * ALL running in the context of a single Tomcat Server process

Oh.

You want Tomcat to do HTTP proxying? AFAIK, nobody has done that. Most
people who want HTTP proxying just use some other web server out in
front of Tomcat (like Apache httpd, Squid, Nginx, lighttpd, HTTP lb,
etc.). I have to imagine that at least one of those products can do
content-detection to determine where to route messages.

Does it /have to/ be Tomcat-based?

> This will enable us to leverage the power/investment in our servlet
> infrastructure and Vysper XMPP all together without having to open
> multiple ports.
>
> If this is possible in either Tomcat 6 or Tomcat 7, please let me
> know how I should go about this:
>
> * doing some custom extension in Tomcat (i.e. custom Tomcat
>   connector that uses Netty for example)
>
> * or, some other approach ???

If you want to brute-force it, you could write a servlet Filter (or,
better yet, a Tomcat-specific Valve that runs before the request is
mapped to a webapp) to intercept the messages and proxy them over to
your other service(s). You'll have to do the HTTP proxying yourself, though.

> please advise on how you would recommend achieving our goal.

Honestly, I'd look for a non-Tomcat-centric solution because it's
probably already been built elsewhere.