Pid wrote:
Honestly, I'd look for a non-Tomcat-centric solution because it's
probably already been built elsewhere.

-chris

Why is opening another port a problem?

+1

I do not know XMPP, but from the original OP description it sounds like a protocol which uses its own transport protocol, and normally some other standard port than 80/443. (*)

Without even going into what kind of issues you may encounter at the Tomcat level when trying to process requests/responses which are not HTTP/HTTPS, I would also think that if you mix 2 different protocols on the same port, you will be forcing whatever equipment/software which separates and dispatches them, to look *inside* each TCP packet to determine which protocol this one is about. That in itself will introduce quite a bit of overhead.

Then again, if the connection is (sometimes) over SSL, that would also probably mean that the packets have to be decrypted, even before their HTTP/XMPP nature can be discriminated.

Looking at XMPP in Wikipedia, it looks like there is something called "XMPP over HTTP transport". Is that what the OP has in mind ?