Hi.

To round up what I am trying to say :

Tomcat is a java servlet engine. In the principle, there is nothing that says that it cannot handle protocols other than HTTP/HTTPS, and run servlets which handle other kinds of messages than HTTP/HTTPS messages.
However, my general impression is that
1) this is not being done very often
2) therefore, even apart from the Connectors, there may be quite a few aspects in Tomcat which are HTTP(S)-centric, and which have not really been investigated a lot with non-HTTP(S) messages. For example, there was a discussion recently on this list, concerning "HTTP 100 Continue" status codes, and if I remember correctly this implied that a Listener should be configured at the level of the Connector, and it also implied that this would trigger the immediate parsing of request headers as soon as a request came in. Now I can quite easily imagine that this could be much more complicated if some requests which come in, are non-HTTP(S).

In summary, I have the feeling that creating a "discriminating Connector" which would dispatch HTTP(S)/XMPP requests as appropriate, could just be the tip of the iceberg, and that you could find yourself sucked into making many more changes than what you imagine at first.

Now take this with a grain of salt, since I am neither a java nor a Tomcat expert. I just happen to remember the classic line which says that "90% of a software project is done in 90% of the time; the remaining 10% also."

Bob DeRemer wrote:
Hi Andre,

Yes, XMPP typically uses port 5222, but is capable of using 80/443 as well. If we're able to share a port, it solves various IT administration issues when deployed in corporate environments. In addition, it will enable us to have a single server process and ultimately a simpler overall architecture because we won't have to configure/manage 2 separate server applications.
I'm still not sure this is feasible or the best way to go, but it's worth the
investigation.  Given a lot of work I've done on the Microsoft side of things,
their WCF infrastructure provides a TCP port sharing service, which is somewhat
similar in nature to what we're looking to do.  At the end of the day - both
HTTP and XMPP are TCP-based.  So, if I can front a single port for the incoming
TCP request and then route it to the appropriate protocol-specific endpoint,
there would be some significant benefits to us architecturally because we are
not forced to break the functionality into 2 separate applications - unless we
wanted to.

That said, if I can find a solution, we'll have to validate the performance and
stability - no doubt.

Thanks,
Bob