Chris

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my email.
I am sure it must take quite a bit of your time and I am most grateful.

I cannot find a web.xml file in META-INF, but here is what I see in
the <servlet-mapping> sections in
    <tomcat-top-level>/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/web.xml
(should there be such a file in META-INF? I see only INDEX.LIST and
MANIFEST.MF)
As you said, it seems as though something is missing

(BTW: I am using the book "Cocoon: Building XML Applications"
 by Langham & Ziegler. It is very out-of-date and that is probably part
of my trouble.
 There don't appear to be many up-to-the-minute books around)

Thx
Rob Stevens

================= snippet =====================
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

    <!-- Mapping of Slide's WebDAV servlet. -->
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>webdav</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/webdav/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

  <!-- XMLDB Block, Xindice XML-RPC Server servlet mapping -->
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Xindice</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/xindice/*</url-pattern>