Thanks to all for the replies.
So we dont need JDK_HOME, and the message

is obsolete.
Best regards,

From: Bobi St
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:58:53

why is Why is JDK needed also for Tomcat 7 ? Does it use a compiler, or why not
simply using for example jre6 ?!?
I have to install always extra JDK because of it ...

        > Von: Justin Randall
        > 21. Juli, 2011 21:01 Uhr

        > It uses the Java compiler for activities such as compiling JSPs into
Servlets into Java class files.

        > All versions of Tomcat require the JDK.

                >> I see. This makes sense.
                >> P.s. On the other hand the ---or--- in the error message is
misleading: neither JDK_HOME ---nor--- JRE_HOME is set...

                        >>> Von: Konstantin Kolinko
                        >>> 21. Juli, 2011 21:09 Uhr

                        >>> Wrong. All currently supported versions (5.5, 6.0,
7.0)
                        >>> do not use JDK compiler by default even if it is
available.
                        >>> See documentation for details.

                        >>> All of them can run with JRE.

                        >>> It is good to have JDK around because of additional
utilities like jvisualvm etc.

to some description, it                          >>>> doesn't need JDK anymore.
For this reason under Windows (7) I                              >>>> didn't
set it at the beginning (neither did I install it), so the
error message.

and setting JDK_HOME                               >>>> towards it, I could
start Tomcat with the startup.bat