Hi --

I had difficulty replying from my digest subscription.  To resolve the
difficulty, I have unsubscribed and resubscribed without the digest.

Leo has asked the question:

> how can RequestDispatcher perform the forward

I'm not sure.  My objective is to institute a way of conditionally jumping
from a servlet to a specified page.  One purpose would be to transfer to an
errors page upon the occurrence of an exception; however, I can think of
other uses.  A paragraph in a book that I have on Tomcat caught my eye as
addressing that exact issue.  They used RequestDispatcher in their solution
which was in my original message. I'm appending the paragraph to the end of
this message.

If RequestDispatcher isn't going to do the job for me, can you point me to
what will?

I think that it's important for me to get the above question answered so I
know whether I'm even heading down the right path.  Once I know that I'm
headed in the right direction; then, I can address the finer points.

     ... doug

P.S. - PARTIAL PARAGRAPH TAKEN FROM BOOK:

Sometimes you may want one servlet to forward a request to another servlet
for processing.  For example, a servlet may do some initial processing to
validate parameters before before passing the request either to another
servelet for final processing or to an error page if validation fails.