Chris et al, thanks ever so much for all the great help.  I finally got
things working.  This has been quite an educational experience for me.  I am
appending to this message my complete *WORKING* servlet.

Having gotten this far, my next question is this:  Is there any way that I
can get this to work within the context of a jsp?  Say for example that I
call a method from within a JSP and that method could through an exception.
I have a catch block to handle the exception.  What I'd like to do is to
jump (on the occurrence of an exception) from the jsp that has the
method-throwing exception to a different error-handling jsp.  Is there a way
that I can do that?

Again, thanks to all.

         ... doug

/* WORKING SERVLET */

import java.io.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class Test2 extends HttpServlet {
response)
    throws ServletException, IOException {
      response.setContentType("text/html");
      PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
      out.println("<html>");
      out.println("<body>");
      out.println("<p>Hello, world!</p>");
      if (request.getParameter("jump") != null )
       {

request.getRequestDispatcher(request.getParameter("jump")).forward(request,
response);
       }
      out.println("</body>");
      out.println("</html>");