Andrew,

On 8/24/2011 10:47 AM, Andrew Todd wrote:
> The documentation there is addressed towards someone who wants to
> do clustering replication and apparently already knows something
> about the subject. jvmRoute is only mentioned in the context of a
> failover.

If you look at the stock conf/server.xml, it says:

"
An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
every request. The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
Documentation at /docs/config/engine.html
"

...right above the <Engine> element.

If you read that document, the jvmRoute attribute says:

"
Identifier which must be used in load balancing scenarios to enable
session affinity. The identifier, which must be unique across all
Tomcat servers which participate in the cluster, will be appended to
the generated session identifier, therefore allowing the front end
proxy to always forward a particular session to the same Tomcat instance.
"

The phrase "session affinity" is synonymous with "sticky session" but
that point could be made a little better, or perhaps the documentation
could standardize on a single phrase for that concept.

It could also be more obvious, but under the "Load Balancing
Directives" documentation for mod_jk workers
(http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html), the
intro has this to say in red text:

"
If you want to use session stickiness, you must set different jvmRoute
attributes in the Engine element in Tomcat's server.xml. Furthermore
the names of the workers which are managed by the balancer have to be
equal to the jvmRoute of the Tomcat instance they connect with.
"

If you'd like to make some specific recommendations for documentation
improvement, I could certainly make some changes.