Hi André, hi Christopher,

thanks for your answers.

The use of HTTP BASIC authentication confuses things here because of
the credential transfer mechanism (HTTP headers). I suppose you could
write a Valve that sniffs the user's IP address and then adds HTTP
headers to the request for the "Authentication" header to essentially
force a login. You'll have to decide what the user's Principal will
need to look like (because Tomcat will actually try to /verify/ the
fake-user's credentials and maintain a "login" for them, running
proper authorization checks, etc.) in order to actually work.

I think I will try this. Are there any tutorials for writing a Valve? I am a Java programmer but new to Valves.

Thank you very much,
Remon