On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Dimitar,
>
> On 10/18/2011 10:50 PM, Dimitar Georgievski wrote:
> >> SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1 SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
> > This setting should control the mod_http_proxy connections. I
> > forgot to mention this Apache server does that.

My reading suggests that it controls mod_proxy, which should be the
> same for all mod_proxy_*. The documentation for mod_proxy_ajp is
> woefully slim. Sure, you can learn all about the AJP protocol, just
> not how to configure the proxy in httpd.conf :(
>
> We have started series of tests to determine the effect of the following
changes;

   1. Upgrade Apache to 2.2.21 (the latest)
   2. Upgrade Tomcat to 5.5.34 (the latest in the 5.x series)
   3. Remove *SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1 SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1*

 It will take a while to complete these tests whch has to do with our test
methodologies, which could be summarized as make one change and repeat the
baseline test at least twice.

> I'll definitely take out these settings, because the http proxy
> > connections should also be persistent.
>
> Okay. Did it work? Seems like a simple test to make.
>
> > Regarding the upgrade of the Tomcat server we might not be able to
> > do that. The application hosted by Tomcat has dependency on the
> > Tomcat 5.5.x version which limits our options. I'll need to
> > determine yet which version would be compliant with our
> > application.
>
> If you have dependencies on Tomcat code, it's best to replace those
> with standards-compliant code. Maybe we could help with that kind of
> thing.
>
> As for 5.5 -> 6.0 -> 7.0 upgrades, I have recent done that exact thing
> and have had no problems whatsoever. Tomcat *should* be
> backward-compatible with previous releases, but there are some gotchas
> to be found when the TC code has become more spec-compliant or more
> cranky about certain bad configurations that it used to allow.
>
> As with any upgrade, always read the release notes / changelog carefully.

The application that is deployed on Tomcat 5.x is called Sakai (
http://sakaiproject.org/). From what I know it has strict dependencies on
the Tomcat version. We started reviewing the requirements for the migration
to Tomcat 6.x but this will take a while, probably months to complete.

> I am also considering to install Apache Portable Runtime to
> > improve connectors performance and determine its effects on the
> > persistence of the proxy connections. What do you think?
>
> If you expect high concurrency, try using the NIO connector(s): they
> should scale better and have the advantage of being all Java, so you
> have less risk of crashing your JVM if something goes wrong (though
> the APR AJP connector /is/ pretty rock-solid).
>
> This is also in our test plans but this change has to wait on the result of
the servers upgrade tests. Moving to NIO or APR seems a sensible thing to
do.

The Apache server does more than being a reverse proxy for this Tomcat
server and couldn't be removed from the server configuration of this
application.

Thanks

Dimitar