Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com] Subject: Re: path used for tc-natuve

This left me intellectually unsatisfied, because I still did not know how Tomcat6 was finding this old tc-native,

Already told you: dlopen() is required to look in /usr/lib - as a last resort.
Check out the man page for that API.

Yes, and I did play a bit more on the Dummy side than strictly necessary.
But, on the other hand, knowing that "dlopen()" is involved is not exactly evident (as you noted yourself), and it still does not really say *who* is calling dlopen(), nor why dlopen() would ever look into (tomcat_dir)/bin.

But let's switch to Christopher's answer for the rest.
In any case, thank you both for your patience and for the great information.
I think I got it now.