Hi André,

long time no see ;)

Ok, let's try to free you from your wprries:

You'l only need OpenSSL if you are running a https-connector. if you
don't use https, you don't need OpenSSL.

And even if you want to run https, it's no big deal:

apt-get install OpenSSL

and you're all set.

One question still, for which I couldn't find an answer within this thread:

You did compile tcnative for Tomcat6, right?

And as mentioned in the thread here, you'll have to change your
LD-LIBRARY_PATH, so that it contains tcnative.

In my environment here, I just adapted the CTALINA_OPTS inside the
startup-script:

CATALINA_OPTS="$JPDA_OPTS -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m
-Djava.library.path=/usr/lib"

And /usr/lib is where you put libtcnative after using libtool as
recommended in the BUILDING.TXT:

dekolxrd13:/opt/apache-tomcat-6.0.33/bin# ls -l /usr/lib/libtcn*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1116156  1. Dez 19:05 /usr/lib/libtcnative-1.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     928  1. Dez 19:05 /usr/lib/libtcnative-1.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23  1. Dez 19:05 /usr/lib/libtcnative-1.so
-> libtcnative-1.so.0.1.20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23  1. Dez 19:05
/usr/lib/libtcnative-1.so.0 -> libtcnative-1.so.0.1.20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  790332  1. Dez 19:05 /usr/lib/libtcnative-1.so.0.1.20

HTH

Gregor

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Christopher Schultz wrote:

>> Chuck,

>>> One would normally place it in Tomcat's bin directory, and set
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or -Djava.library.path to point there.  It's a bit
>>> scary (and rude) to put it in a public place.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> I think Andre's original problem wasn't with tcnative, but with
>> libapr. If you build the new tcnative dynamically-linked, then you're
>> going to have the same problem.
>>
>> Other possibilities include building everything (libapr and
>> libtcnative) and putting them into, say, CATALINA_HOME/bin. I recently
>> had a fun (read: miserable) time doing this with 2 versions of each
>> (total of 4 possibilities) along with 2 libssl versions at the same
>> time. Trying to trump the system-level libraries requires that you
>> cover all your bases, otherwise some library name (like
>> libapr.1.4.2.so) will not override /usr/lib/libapr.1.so. Make sure
>> you've got all your symlinks right :)
>>

> Well, yes.  And that's exactly why, for the time being, I have decided to do
> without tc-native.  The first line I saw in the tc-native source README was
> something like "to build, you may need OpenSSL xx .." and then I started
> getting cold feet, remembering my previous experiences going along the
> dependencies-from-hell route umpteen times before.
> And in this case, we're talking indeed about a system which already has all
> those nice symlinks all over the place..
> What is it he said ? "once you give in to the dark side of the Force,
> forever dominate you it will.."
> If apt-get is the dark side, then I guess I'm already on Darth's side.

just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 3DB13F197F8A0360814885D1F1F1E2EFAD509AFD
skype:rc46fi
gplus.to/gregor
twitter.com/#/2smart4u