You can't, unless you have a filter parsing the outbound generated
page, or use JavaScript on the client (neither of which I'd recommend).

One of the options I was thinking of writing the filter just to get the path of
the clicked pages and use that.

But now I feel I might not require that.

   >>>Of course, there's no parameter being set on that link.
Thanks for clarifying this.I am not a full time developer so obviously I am
prone to make mistakes.Good now I realise how to pull values.I do have around
15 pages and around 10 servlets with some bits of JSTL.But again some days I
work with JS/CSS and some days with Java.So sometimes do forget these basic
things.Lucky I am sometimes good folks like you point it out.

For that matter if you use the 'books.jsp' =>  Books approach, you
can probably use JSTL to do that transform. Or create a custom tag
to handle it (possibly better).

I am working on it now that I have some clarity as how I can implement this.

One final doubt can I have one servlet similar to listener which will listen to
the clicks,store the path info,validate the sessions and then push that data to
some jsp and I can include that jsp in my all pages.Do I need to implement this
exactly the way we implement httpsession listener ?

and also Hassan many thanks for direction.