On 03/18/2012 08:30 PM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:
Hi

Guys (Konstantin, Mladen), goo d work, sorry caught me on a Sunday, else I
would have chipped in.

Just wondering (thinking a bit left field), but  question was asked of me.  Any
reason to have a shm across processes.

So that worker state is replicated across processes.
Eg, if connection to one backend is broken each process will
have to discover that by itself. Shared memory allows that if
one worker process discovers that a backend is down other won't
have to go trough the lengthy process of discovering that.

Also loadbalancer load factors are calculated across all processes
not just for the current one. So, the benefits are real.

However unlike with httpd, IIS does not offer parent/child
concept so we don't have the shared memory 'controller'.
The ultimate solution would be to start a separate controller
process, but that's probably something for the future.

Even if the current set of patches work, I'm more convinced
we should have a directive to disable shared memory usage, and
think I'm going to add that option for 1.2.34 anyhow.

Regards
--
^TM