Hi,

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but could I check if I'm understanding correctly? I can't get it working with your suggestions.

On 18/04/2012 0:04, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2012/4/17 ron.vandenbranden@home<ron.vandenbran...@kantl.be>:
    2. change ${CATALINA.HOME}/conf/server.xml as follows:

    <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="false">
      <Context path="/apps/my_app" docBase="/my_app/" reloadable="true"/>
    </Host>

More comment on the above, as you have already read the docs.

Putting<Context>  element into server.xml is considered a bad practice.

Instead of that you'd put it into separate XML file,
conf/Catalina/localhost/apps#my_app.xml
as
<Context docBase="/docbase/of/my_app/" />

That "reloadable="true"" is not really needed.

Your docbase can be anywhere (outside of webapps directory) and need
not have the '#' sign in it.

The working folder for your app will still be
${catalina.base}/Catalina/localhost/apps#myapp with a hash char in it,
but I think that will work with Cocoon.

I have my webapps located at F:\tomcatApps (so outside of the catalina tree), where 'my_app' lives in a folder named 'apps#my_app'. So I'm specifying this in ${catalina.base}/conf/server.xml:

   <Host name="localhost" appBase="F:/tomcatApps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false"
deployOnStartup="false">

...without any further <Context> elements.

Next, I create following file at ${catalina.base}/conf/Catalina/localhost/apps#my_app:

  <Context docBase="/my_app/" />

(as I understand from the docs that the @docbase value must be relative to the Host's @appBase).

When I start Tomcat with these settings, no webapps are deployed at all. I tried toggling the values for @autoDeploy and @deployOnStartup, and only the latter seems to make any webapps to be deployed. Yet, the Tomcat console window then logs following message:

  INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor
F:\tomcat-7.0.27\conf\Catalina\localhost\apps#my_app
  18-apr-2012 0:37:56  org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
  WARNING: A docBase F:\tomcatApps\my_app inside the Host appBase has been
specified, and will be ignored

Eventually, the 'my_app' app is deployed, but with the same result: Cocoon chokes on the hash in the folder name.

BTW, I wonder how Cocoon behaves if your application is in a war file
and you run with<Host unpackWARs="false" />

Hmm, I could give that a try (tomorrow, perhaps, off to bed now), though I recall some issues with Cocoon-based web apps that needed a physical directory structure.

Again, many thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Ron