---- Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Here's a partial stripped down version of my server.xml, to show the
> >> JNDIRealm part in context.  I guess that it's in the <Engine>?
> >>
> >> So, how do I enable the output from the JNDIRealm?
> >>
> >> I checked the link you included, but it reflected what you said, but I'm
> >> unclear about exactly what I need to do (e.g., add to logging.properties)
> >> to get the debug output?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jim
> >>
> >> P.S.  Per other responses, if you could help explain, it might clarify
> >> things for others on the mailing list, who also appear to not know how to
> >> do this?
> \>
> > P.P.S.  In case it helps, here is my current logging.properties:
> >

> > # For example, to log debug messages in ContextConfig and HostConfig
> > # classes and to log only warnings and errors in other
> > # org.apache.catalina.** classes, uncomment these lines:
> > #org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.level = FINE
> > #org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.level = FINE
> > #org.apache.catalina.level = WARNING
>
> I have not see your server.xml, but let's suppose that your Realm is
> in the Engine.
> The logging category for engine will be
> "org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina]"
>
> To enable debug logging for it you have to
> 1. add the following line to logging.properties file and
> 2. restart Tomcat:
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].level = FINE
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Hi,

FYI, I posted a msg with the server.xml snippet, which I had forgotten.

Also, I just tried adding the line you suggested to logging.properties, then
bounced Tomcat.

On startup, I do see some new messages:

May 17, 2012 1:40:48 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase init
FINE: Register Realm Catalina:type=Realm,realmPath=/realm0
May 17, 2012 1:40:48 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm
getDirectoryContextEnvironment
FINE: Connecting to URL ldap://oidoif:6501

but, just to test if the logging was outputing anything, I access Tomcat
/manager, with incorrect username/password, and I don't see anything from
JNDIRealm in the logs.

Looking at JNDIRealm.java code, I see this code:

  944                   // Authenticate the specified username if possible
  945                   principal = authenticate(context, username,
credentials);
  946
  947               } catch (NullPointerException e) {
  948                   /* BZ 42449 - Kludge Sun's LDAP provider
  949                      with broken SSL
  950                   */
  951                   // log the exception so we know it's there.
  952                   containerLog.warn(sm.getString("jndiRealm.exception"),
e);

Shouldn't the logs show some kind of exception message for the above lines?

Thanks,
Jim