---- oh...@cox.net wrote:

> ---- Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > \>
> > > P.P.S.  In case it helps, here is my current logging.properties:
> > >

> > > # For example, to log debug messages in ContextConfig and HostConfig
> > > # classes and to log only warnings and errors in other
> > > # org.apache.catalina.** classes, uncomment these lines:
> > > #org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.level = FINE
> > > #org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.level = FINE
> > > #org.apache.catalina.level = WARNING
> >
> > I have not see your server.xml, but let's suppose that your Realm is
> > in the Engine.
> > The logging category for engine will be
> > "org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina]"
> >
> > To enable debug logging for it you have to
> > 1. add the following line to logging.properties file and
> > 2. restart Tomcat:
> >
> > org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].level = FINE
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Konstantin Kolinko

> Hi,
>
> FYI, I posted a msg with the server.xml snippet, which I had forgotten.
>
> Also, I just tried adding the line you suggested to logging.properties, then
> bounced Tomcat.
>
> On startup, I do see some new messages:
>
> May 17, 2012 1:40:48 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase init
> FINE: Register Realm Catalina:type=Realm,realmPath=/realm0
> May 17, 2012 1:40:48 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm
> getDirectoryContextEnvironment
> FINE: Connecting to URL ldap://oidoif:6501
>
> but, just to test if the logging was outputing anything, I access Tomcat
> /manager, with incorrect username/password, and I don't see anything from
> JNDIRealm in the logs.
>
> Looking at JNDIRealm.java code, I see this code:
>
>   944                   // Authenticate the specified username if possible
>   945                   principal = authenticate(context, username,
> credentials);
>   946
>   947               } catch (NullPointerException e) {
>   948                   /* BZ 42449 - Kludge Sun's LDAP provider
>   949                      with broken SSL
>   950                   */
>   951                   // log the exception so we know it's there.
>   952
> containerLog.warn(sm.getString("jndiRealm.exception"), e);
>
> Shouldn't the logs show some kind of exception message for the above lines?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

I think that the code snippet I sent earlier was the wrong one, but it seems
like I still should have gotten some output logging for the following code from
JNDIRealm.java?

 1003           } catch (NamingException e) {
 1004
 1005               // Log the problem for posterity
 1006               containerLog.error(sm.getString("jndiRealm.exception"), e);
 1007
 1008               // Close the connection so that it gets reopened next time
 1009               if (context != null)
 1010                   close(context);
 1011
 1012               // Return "not authenticated" for this request
 1013               if (containerLog.isDebugEnabled())
 1014                   containerLog.debug("Returning null principal.");
 1015               return (null);

i.e., I should have seen "Returning null principal" in the Tomcat logging?

Jim