Hi,

Please find some feedback in your email below.

Best
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 1:02 PM somasani nikhil <somasaninik...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> We are in the process of evaluating TomEE 8.x to TomEE 9.x / 10.x upgrade..
> I have a couple of queries before we can take any wise decision -
>
> 1) We are running the application on JDK 17 and compiled our code with JDK8
> - Does TomEE 9.x have any issues if the application code is compiled with
> JAVA 1.8.x ?

Not as far as I am aware of. If you have an issue, it should be definitely
fixed.

> 2) We are having many references to *javax.** within the application and
> also using a bunch of third-party jars which are javax compatible, our plan
> is to move to TomEE 9.x and check if it works without *javax.* *to*
> jakarta.** migration within our code ?

javax based applications will only deployed to TomEE up to 8.x
>From 9.x onwards, you must migrate your application to jakarta namespace.

> Is Jakarta namespace migration mandatory if deploying the application on
> TomEE 9.x ?

Yes

> The above would include migration of third-party jars as well based on the
> core container for us (i.e., TomEE 8.x / 9.x).

Correct. And that's usually harder to manage external libraries than it is
to convert your own source code to jakarta.

> 3) TomEE 9.x seems to be using Tomcat 9.x that works on javax namespace so
> our next proposal is to see, If TomEE 9.x works with Tomcat 10.x or Is it
> tightly coupled with Tomcat 9.x only ?

That's incorrect.
TomEE 9.x uses Tomcat 10.x
See https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/tomee-9.x/pom.xml#L205

Tomcat 10.x is also jakarta compatible.
And yes TomEE is tightly coupled with Tomcat. This is because we want to be
Tomcat and we want to be very deeply and well integrated with it.