Speaking from my personal pov, not my corporation, and just trying to
be honest... I love the project, it's my favorite thing to reach for
when I need to do anything. I stick with the 8.0.x version because
it's quite stable and I rarely run into bugs that affect me. I don't
really see a need to have the latest and greatest JakartaEE apis
either, as JEE8 reached quite the maturity level. I have only
committed a handful of times a year as bugs pop up that affect me in
the TomEE project or an upstream one, but I could reach out to things
that are affecting other users. I'm also a little lost on how to help
with the latest JakartaEE impl efforts; I'm not sure what needs to be
done or where I would fit in.

I think there are barriers of entry with Tomcat, ergo TomEE. Back in
the day, everything was "application server first", meaning everyone
used to install Tomcat/WebSphere/WebLogic etc, then begin coding.
Nowadays SpringBoot and Quarkus have made things "executable first",
in which things are packed into a single jar and executed. Granted the
one-jar TomEE plugin can do that, and that's actually my favorite way
to use TomEE, but it's not the default behavior which I think adds a
barrier to entry. To get on-par with SpringBoot/Quarkus, I think you'd
need a way for a person to download "one thing" and quickly build an
executable jar. If the "war" step could be skipped that would be even
better.

The other barrier of entry is something I'm not comfortable helping
on, as I have 0 UI skills, but the website and documentation could use
a refresh to be more attractive. I hate criticizing this because I
love the project and I know it rides on the love and sweat of many
volunteers and friends, so please don't take this harshly.

I will say TomEE absolutely spanks WildFly, SpringBoot, and
OpenLiberty as far as real-world startup times of complicated apps on
a 1:1 comparison between running the _exact_ same app. It's really
only bested by Quarkus, but Quarkus doesn't do the half of what TomEE
plus can, so it's not really a fair matchup. Its memory footprint is
also quite small; I have some apps that run in 32m JVMs :) These are
advantages almost nobody is aware of, and this project has a lot to
offer people.

I know it takes a village, but I'm willing to be a hand in the "many hands".

--
Jonathan | exabr...@gmail.com
Pessimists, see a jar as half empty. Optimists, in contrast, see it as