Eelco Hillenius wrote:
WDYT?

Good news Ate! I'm +1 for putting it in trunk if you take on the
responsibility of maintaining it properly.
Sure :)

I'm pretty much involved in several projects which would like to use the Wicket portlet support, and of course if we manage to rewrite our Jetspeed-2 admin portlets in Wicket (for release 2.2) there will be a direct Apache connection too!
So, you can be assured of my continued involvement and interest in this, and
even without concrete projects at hand.

But I will need support from all the Wicket committers for trying to maintain
portlet compatibility as much as possible too!

There aren't that many specific rules to follow, but certain things simply aren't allowed like modifying an url after it is generated (like from client side javascript). There are easy workaround/alternatives for that like using POST with hidden parameters instead of GET requests.

Once we have portlet support in the branch as an officially supported feature,
everyone should take these restrictions in mind.
And of course, for very servlet specific features which make no sense in a
portlet this won't apply.

I plan to create a JIRA issue for merging to trunk later this evening or
tomorrow and then you can all see concrete examples of what I mean by this.

Many thanks for the positive responses so far already,

Regards,

Ate

Eelco