So I spoke too soon about this working out... I think the core problem
is kind of simple:
How can a component of a page inside a ModalWindow update components
on the page that holds the Modal Window?

More Specifically:
I have an "EditCreativePage" that creates an instance of
"UploadMediaPanelPage", then creates a ModalWindow with a createPage()
that gets the instance of the  "UploadMediaPanelPage".
"EditCreativePage" has a "MediaPanel" that has a link that sets a
callback inside of "UploadMediaPanelPage" and calls the
ModalWindow.show()

"UploadMediaPanelPage" has an upload Form, whose onSubmit seems to do
a fine job of parsing data of the uploaded image, and shows a preview
panel w/ the image etc. "UploadMediaPanelPage" also has its own
AjaxLinks for "Ok" and "Cancel" - when I pass the AjaxRequestTarget
the onClick for OK gets back to the "MediaPanel", and it tries to
update itself and its embedded ImageComponent.

Now, when I forget to call MediaPanel.setOutputMarkupId(true), the
ModalWindow shows the exception

 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot update component that does
not have setOutputMarkupId property set to true.

when I do call MediaPanel.setOutputMarkupId(true), there's no
exception, but the Ajax Debug window *inside the ModalWindow* shows
something like

ERROR: Component with id [[mediaimage40]] a was not found while trying
to perform markup update. Make sure you called
component.setOutputMarkupId(true) on the component whose markup you
are trying to update.

and nothing shows up in th Ajax Debug of "EditCreativePage", which is
probably the problem...

Is there a work around for this? Either direct, or do I need to
somehow override the ModalWindow setWindowClosedCallback ? But in that
case, what do I use for an AjaxRequestTarget ?

Thanks for any help...