By the way, Component.RENDER doesn't have to be renamed for me either.
Maybe add one extra method to component:

isVisibleAllowed() that checks both properties: isRenderedAllowed and
isVisible()
and that method is again called for every component in the hierachy in
isVisibleInHiearchy()

i think thats more clear.

johan