but then my app wont work. i add my own ajax behavior that knows how
to do all this... so i would have to override some method on the form
and tell it not to do its default thing? let me quote someone
"Yuk...I'd hate to go through my *entire* application and replace
org.apache.wicket.Form with com.mysite.MySpecialForm.  very messy." :)

your default is simply not good - updating feedback panels is rarely
enough. also a lot of times users add a feedback panel per form
component, so you will needlessly update tens of feedback panels
rather then the single one that needs it. not a good default.

imho the best default still remains the one that adds no additional
functionality that wasnt explicitly asked for.

-igor