Johnnie,

All you need to do is override PropertyColumn#populateItem() as I've done
below.
The column is still sortable.

In my case, I add an ExternalLink to the cell that does a popup, but this
code gives you the general idea.

Phil

        columns.add(new PropertyColumn(new Model("Title"), "title", "title")
        {
            @Override
            public void populateItem(Item cellItem, String componentId,
IModel model)
            {
                ExternalLink link = new ExternalLink(componentId,
                    ((ContentItem) model.getObject()).getUrl(),
                    ((ContentItem) model.getObject()).getTitle()));

                cellItem.add(link);
            }
        });