You should use isVisible when possible. The notion of component's visibility
has to do with whether the component renderers or not. So yes, the list will
be reconstructed from scratch. If you're doing something Ajaxy, this might
not be what you want.

I personally wish that the Ajax implementation was a bit more automatic by
default. Adding a behavior for Ajax to a component could easily set the
right flags since this is the most common case. People who are doing custom
ID management could turn off the automatic default.

I usually look for places to handle this kind of thing centrally, whether
it's some component base class or a base behavior class or a custom
behavior.  Once you've defined a component that's good for your application,
you just repeat use of it.