why is this such a huge discussion? wicket works on markup level - it
is a markup generator, so of course visible means whether or not
something is visible in the markup.

you are free to add whatever it is you want for css/javascript/etc,
but it will not be part of core. we give you enough flexibility to
build whatever it is you want to build.

its just like desktop frameworks, when you set something invisible it
isnt actually there, its not like it just has a zindex below the main
window...

-igor