But when a component can't be used with a recent Wicket release, there
is little or no use for it IMO.

I like the fact that many folks have contributed to wicket stuff, but
I think there is little reality in giving each project its own release
cycle. Though for popular javascript libraries such as prototype,
scriptaculous and jquery it may be beneficial to have release cycles
that follow those projects as well, I think that most libraries could
benefit of at least being compiled against the latest current wicket
development version, and given a cut-off when a new Wicket release has
been created.

But that is my vision for wicket stuff. I hope to give some sweet
loving care to those projects someday, in the form of downloadable
releases, and proper release management to the central repository. But
I have to release a book , and take some time off after that before I
can commit any time to this.

Martijn