Also if you use CompoundPropertyModels (widely used) then generics are
completely not used anymore at all..

Speaking for me, I never use expression based property models in any mid- to large-sized project to have complete(!) refactoring support in my IDE.

String expression are a lot less verbose than static bindings, that true.

But once I rename a bean property that get's accessed in a component or page the change will not affect the string expression of PropertyModels and friends. So there will be nice runtime errors. Static binding is your friend here.

So I favor for keeping generics (even though it hurts sometimes).

Cheers
Peter