Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
I haven't said anything up to this point, but we really don't seem to be
getting anywhere with what is turning into a religious war.  I, for one,
have already started using 1.4, and love the generics, despite the extra
verbosity.  It gives me extra type safety and code self-documentation.  I
would be very against having the framework do a cast as has been suggested
on here, because that is a hack, and not useful for anything - I lose the
value of generics because the compiler is no longer checking my type safety
throughout the application.  If I came to a framework without previous
experience with it, and discovered that ugly hack, I would be worried about
the quality of all of the code.

I think that we should:
 - continue with 1.4-M2
 - create a wiki page where we can get one master list of  things we like
and don't like
 - see what we can do to address those

We're really not getting anywhere with this conversation until we have a
finite list, and some options for each con on the list.  Then we can either
choose the best options or say "forget it".

I agree with the above points.

Furthermore, we're not really getting any idea about how the community feels about generics. A vocal minority speaks up. On the list, things tend to be biased towards the problems and not the things working well (the people happily going about their business without issues are less likely to be reading along and posting their experiences).

There were about 100 votes +1 *quick* generic release and I don't see very many complaints. Why not wait a bit, polish some of the rough edges and have a poll or something to ask the community how they feel...

Regards,
Sebastiaan