Yes. I think trying to fix this "problem" is really trying to fix Java, which
is pretty far outside our scope. Sun Microsystems should be trying to fix
such use cases not us. If people are leaving the Java platform because of
verbosity my guess is such people left when they saw their first anonymous
class, but that's just my opinion.

In the case at hand, if we're doing generics where it's an unreasonable use
case, that's one thing. We can fix that. But I think a class like component
is almost certainly a reasonable use case and if we can't come to an
agreement to make that generic, there's something more deeply wrong with
Java generics which we can't fix and so the only reasonable course of action
at that point is to scrap generics entirely  for now and wait for Sun
Microsystems to fix it (which is the reason I asked if we could not create a
version with the generics removed). Personally, I don't see this use of Void
as something even remotely close to a reason to scrap it. I would happily
use that construct every day. But that's just me.