From: Stefan Lindner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 12:13 PM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: AW: users, please give us your opinion: what is your take on
generics with Wicket

Brill Pappin wrote
>I don't know, I think the discussion is going *toward* generics.
>Frankly I can't even see why its an issue at all, the language has
evolved and uses them... Why would Wicket not also use them its inline with
>the current state of the language?
>
>There is no reason that people who can't get their heads around
Generics can't use the older releases that don't include it, but IMO any
java >developer who doesn't get generics yet better make some time to learn,
because like it or not, they *will* be dealing with them.

I agree totally with you. My expericence with Generics over the last two
years was that any project that was adopted to generics had much less errors
afterwards.

But the main problem in this discussion seems to be that there are two very
different sorts of Web Applications that are developed with wicket and both
may have predecessors that are non generic.

Type A: A Web applicatons that make heavy use of Models, like classic
desktop allications that are ported to the web. I think the programmers of
such applications like Generics becaus they help them to avoid erros and the
current wicket generic implementation leads to a strong typed application
that needs a good object model (and a good database design).
If you port an exisitng wicket application with no generic to wicket 1.4 you
might discover some unclear object model problems in your exisitng code. And
it's always easier to point to wicket's generics than to blame your own code
:-)

Type B: A Web Application with more static content, only some date (like
user logins, user profile data). In this case it's clear that some people
say "why should I always tyle 'Link<Void>', none of my links has a Model,
just about 10% of my Components have a Model". But why dont't they write
their own wrapper e.g. MyVoidLink extends Link<Void>? I remember a dicsusson
about such Components some weeks ago.

What do you think about it? Would it help users of Type B to have
VoidComponents?

Stefan