I am not aware of a distinction between software decorator and ui decorator. But seeing as wicket is a ui framework, I'll go with ui decorator. Border looks somewhat like a decorator, but since it does not wrap another component, it is not. Also Border needs different markup than the component it 'decorates' which makes it nontransparent, which is kind of the point of decorators. I like to thing of decorators as classes that piggyback behavior on existing instances.

Implementing each and every method of a class and delegating to another class is indeed what is needed, but is certainly not insanity. If you use eclipse you can do this easily by adding a member field of a certain type, right-click it and select Source > Generate Delegate Methods. When decorating a class is common and intended use of that class, an API usually supplies a SomethingSomethingDecorator class (extends / implements SomethingSomething) that delegates every method by default. You'd then only have to subclass that class.

Calling super in methods that only implement an interface as in your reply is just not possible (does not even compile), you need to subclass in order to be able to do that. To return to the final method argument. It is not entirely impossible to decorate a class with final methods, you just can't delegate the final methods. An important one to be able to delegate in wicket is MarkupContainer.add. Otherwise you'd break the hierarchy with a decorated MarkupContainer.

By the way, the article I supplied and the article on wikipedia do just the same thing. If you look at VerticalScrollBarDecorator.draw you'll see that it delegates the method to the wrapped Window. Also look at the C++ example. C++ doesn't have interfaces. So, maybe this is a ui decorator as well...? At the end of the article there is a list of other design patterns from the GoF book, unfortunately I couldn't find anything about the software decorator pattern you mentioned (also googled it without avail).

So, okay, let's end this discussion for Godwin's sake.

I really do want to know how to add behaviour in a transparent way to an existing Link's onClick method. Using Behavior or some other means. AOP is an option but feels hacky just to do this (pointcuts should generally match more than one joinpoint). Event listeners are another (but I won't dare begin that discussion again).

Best regards,
Matthijs

Igor Vaynberg wrote:
looked over the article. what they do is a ui decorator, it is not the
software decorator pattern. there is no method delegation to the child
component. what they create is a composite, you can do the same thing
in wicket with a Border.

-igor